Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fun day off...Caves, Obama, and Suicidal Frog


Our first non-program day (free to do fun extra-curricular stuff...not to say that the other 6 program days aren't fun!), we ventured to the Elephant Caves for a hike. The story is that the soil in this region is so nutrient rich, that pregnant elephants would come here on their way to Lake Manyara to get fundamental iron, magnesium, calcium etc. Over time, they excavated the area, essentially creating a massive cave. You can see their tusk marks in the rock behind me. One year (I don't remember which) there were heavy rains, and the cave collapsed on a number of buffalo and elephants seeking refuge. The remnants of the cave is seen below. Buffalo still come here for water, and baboons are occupying the area (they are everywhere!).


Elephants still come here for minerals...their tracks are a potential tripping hazard, but really humbling to look at.

 
The hike was gorgeous! Although, I couldn't spend that much time looking around, because I was trying to make sure I didn't step in buffalo poo that littered the trail. I was certain I was going to run into a buffalo, given how fresh the stuff was...I didn't though, and it was probably for the best. Acacia trees (below), wild mint and banana grew everywhere.


We crossed a stream...


That leads to an intimidating waterfall...


Not that one... This one!



I got my 'cliff face' on...if you can't tell, I'm scared, even though I'm 2 feet from the edge. People were trying to take selfies (you know, when they lean back and take their picture with stuff). I was so afraid for them that I just assumed the role of cliff portrait photographer.


All in all, I had a swingin' time!

Next we went to Karatu to spend some mulla. We were all hideously overcharged because we were mwanafunzi mwamerikani (American students). Venders kept trying to give us 'student rate' deals, which ended up being at least 3x more than the going price at other markets...so it was more like the 'American rate'. I didn't mind buying bracelets for a bit more from a little boy who goes by the name 'Mr. Cheapo' because he was adorable. My favorite item however...


They call America, 'Obama land'... it's hilarious!

Next, we were brought to an artist's house in Rhotia, where a bunch of students learned how to make batik (a form of painting with wax and dye). I did not partake in the activity, because I wanted to get back to camp early and get work done (which never happened). However, I did buy a batik, and I have no idea what it is going to look like. I didn't see any that I really liked, so I ordered a custom one with a background that I liked, and flamingo silhouettes on the sunset water of Lake Manyara. Thinking back on this decision, I probably should have got something with elephants or zebras or wildebeests...flamingos aren't unique to Africa (although neither are elephants, but still) But all the cool ones were taken before I could decide what I wanted. 

A couple friends and I walked back through Rhotia back to camp, and since we had just gone hiking, we didn't have skirts to go over our hiking pants. It is taboo to not wear a skirt as a girl, so we were very self-conscious. We got some strange looks, but made it back to camp without any confrontations.

After dinner, we had a fun fire...until we saw a frog, and we all paused to admire it in the fire light. Then it leaped into the fire! All of us jumped up and screamed. We didn't know what to do. Many of us wanted to grab it reflexively, but it would have been for naught. Instead we rolled it out with a stick, said a few words, and made a funeral pyre for our brave little friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment